sábado, 25 de janeiro de 2014

Book Review: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare




I read this book for the 2014 Book Genre Challenge!
What to say about this book? I feel like if I had read this book before reading 'The Mortal Instruments' I would like it better than I do now (and if I read TMI later, I would prefer 'The Infernal Devices').
I liked the overall story, I thought the whole setting was fascinating, the whole steampunk vibe to it is great, I like the period (which was not very well explored in the book), and the whole mystery around what Tessa really is. It is a fascinating tale, set in a fascinating universe. I love the Shadowhunting world, the Nephilim, the vampires and warlocks, the whole thing.
However, this story did not manage to hold my attention for too long. I guess it was because it kept reminding me of The Mortal Instruments.
Tessa. I liked her at first, but then I didn't. Her blind devotion to her brother was annoying, she had only one thought in her mind: rescue her brother. It didn't matter things were far more serious and important than she thought they were, she wanted her brother. Other people were being selfish by 'getting in the way' of her finding her brother.
Will Herondale. Will Herondale is Jace Herondale. Jace Herondale is Will Herondale. Again, if I had read this book before TMI I could like Will. But I didn't. Not only he is exactly like Jace is, he is also a very selfish character who says the most hurtful things to people only because he himself doesn't want to be hurt. He is reckless, letting the people who love him worried, he jumps head first into danger, and sometimes (most of the times) treats people really badly. His only redeeming feature, in my opinion, is how he cares for Jem.
Jem. I liked Jem. He was cute, calm, and he cared about others. Unfortunately, I couldn't help but feel he was only there to give Will someone to care about (other than Tessa) and to be part of the forever present love triangle.
And, as usual, I really liked Magnus Bane. He is a great and sparkly character.

I don't know if I will read the other books. I got curious to know Tessa's background story and how it will come into play in the second book. Also, I want to know what will happen to Jem (even though I know what will happen by the end of the books and SPOILERS his role in The Mortal Instruments series SPOILERS).

Rating: 3/5


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário