quinta-feira, 16 de janeiro de 2014

Book Review: The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith




First, a confession that I'm sure nobody will be surprise to hear: I only bought this book because J. K. Rowling wrote it. Will the fact that she wrote it have any effect on my review? No, absolutely not. I review the books, not the authors. 
The book follows the life of private detective Cormoran Strike. Strike is hired to find out what really happened to Lula Landry, a model who is believed to have committed suicide. Her brother doesn't believe his sister would have killed herself and he is willing to pay for Strike to discover the truth. Strike desperately needs the money, seeing his financial, professional, and private lives are currently very chaotic, so he accepts the job. 
I liked the book but it was nothing special. It was a common murder mystery, following the basic murder mystery plot. What I liked most was the insights to the characters' lives and personalities, why they got where they were and how they did so. There was good character development in the book, even though sometimes I felt the characters were behaving a little out of character. However, you can see how they grew, if only a little, as the book progressed. 
I admit I had my suspicions about the killer - and they were proved right. I don't think it is because the book gave much away (there was enough clues to pierce it all together if you really wanted to, but nothing blatantly obvious). I believe it was because I have read enough murder mysteries to see a pattern. I also have to admit that the book was well thought when it came to the killer and how everything took place. 
I believe the book could have used a little more action. The investigation was good, but it could have been better. 
This book is the perfect choice for those who are looking for a light reading or for something entertaining.

Rating: 3/5


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário