domingo, 12 de janeiro de 2014

Book Review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs




I picked up this book mainly for the cover. It had been on my to-read list for a while, but the cover was really something (I have this cover).
This book tells the story of Jacob, a boy who grew up with his grandfather telling exciting, and most definitely untrue, stories. They were stories about a home for children where the grandfather had spent some time after his family was killed during the war. Jacob loved this stories but, as he grew older, he thought his grandfather was making them up and stopped believing in them. One day, something tragic happens and Jacob has to review his opinions. Maybe those stories were true after all. So he and his father go searching for this old home and for the woman, Miss Peregrine, who used to run it. The things Jacob finds might not be the ones he was expecting to find.
At first, this book managed to scare me quite a lot. It was weird, creepy, and I was dying to know what was going to happen with the characters. However, as the story progressed, I thought the rhythm of the narrative was somehow different. And not in a good way. The end of the book brought back the initial narrative style, but it ended too fast for me. And it left too many things unexplained.
I loved the pictures, I think they were an awesome complement to the narrative. It is quite amazing how the author managed to build the entire story around this pictures, made them fit so well into the narrative. To me, my experience of reading this book would not be the same if there were no pictures.
Jacob, as a character, didn't interest me much. He was brave, trying to find the truth about his grandfather, helping his new-found friends, and giving up a lot (even if he could not see it) to make sure they were safe. I still think the secondary characters were my favorites.
I am looking forward to the second book!


Rating: 4/5


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário