terça-feira, 18 de fevereiro de 2014

Book Review: Across the Universe by Beth Revis






2014 Book Genre Challenge.

This review contains SPOILERS.
Amy is frozen for hundreds of years, together with her mother and father, to participate in a space mission. However, she is unplugged before the time is due. Now she has to survive on a spaceship, with people she has never seen and who are very different from the humanity she is used to. She meets Elder, who is training with Eldest to be the next leader of the ship. In the meantime, strange things start to happen.
Let me tell you, Amy is very brave. Imagine being used to everything we have here and have it taken away from you. And I'm not talking about internet or things like that. I'm talking about free space and nature, every beautiful natural thing we have. Now imagine living inside a spaceship, knowing that, no matter how far you run, there is no way out. You are still stuck inside a metal box travelling through space. I think I would go mad if it happened to me.
I would like to have had more answers about the project and why they were moving to this other planet. We have some information, but nothing really concrete. I would like to have more answers about it, about how was Earth when she left and so on.
I liked how people, even if different, were kind of the same. Yes, most workers were like cattle, no individual thought or opinions, no emotions or wishes. But still thinking differences were the main cause of disorder, still not knowing how to deal with difference and accept difference.
I liked how the book showed we can turn History to our own purposes. We can take something that happen and make people believe it happened differently. Like how Elder and Eldest believed Hitler was a good and fair leader to his people.
I liked the POV change, how it always switched between Amy and Elder. It gave us a wider perspective and also gave us two different points of view: one that is more similar to ours (Amy), and one totally different, to show us the cultural differences between us and the people in the ship (Elder).
There are two main things that I really didn't like:
I was not surprised in the slightest when it comes to whom was unplugging the people and who had unplugged her. It was no surprise for me. It annoyed me how long it took them to realize and all the misleading clues the author tried to put into the book. No, it couldn't have been anyone else.
However, the thing that annoyed me most, was the Luthe thing. C'mon! What was that for? Nothing, and I mean NOTHING was done about it. He was forgotten. She had a small crisis and then it passed. No. Just no. No, it wasn't the Season. He was not affected by the season. It annoyed me to no end that it was simply forgotten, as if nothing had happened, or that it had meant nothing. I wanted a better closure for this scene. And I wanted to see its purpose to the story. It led to no character development, and it played no big role in the story.
Overall, it was a very interesting read, very compelling, it left me wondering what will happen next.

Rating: 4/5 stars

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário