domingo, 23 de fevereiro de 2014

Book Review: Insurgent by Veronica Roth


2014 Book Genre Challenge

Insurgent picks up from where Divergent ends. 
What I liked:
• The pacing of the book was good, it didn't slow down for a second;
• Some plot twists were really good, and I really did not see some things coming;
• I like Tris as a character: she is annoying, reckless, and sometimes, she is really stupid. She talks about cunning and wants to give moral lessons to others when she herself does not do what she says. She also wants to play the hero every time. I don't see it as her fault. It is part of her divergent personality. I listed a lot of bad things, but she has great characteristics: she thinks a lot about the others and about what she thinks is right, she is willing to die for others, she is loyal, capable of immense love and forgiveness. Those things only show she is a very well developed character. She has her flaws, which makes her a very strong -judging by character development and how she is constructed - character;
• I liked the cliffhanger a lot. I like how the author stopped at a important and crucial point of the story. It makes the reader crazy to read the other book;
• The general story was really good.

What I didn't like:
• Tris and Four's relationship. It felt forced and weird at times;
• I didn't like how Tris kept commenting on other women's appearances. This is something I did not like in Divergent and I didn't like here as well, mainly because it is completely unnecessary and it doesn't feel like something the character would do, in my opinion;
• People miraculously survive certain situations only to create an angst-y mood;
• The secondary characters. Most of the times I did not know who was who because they don't have any distinguishable characteristics;
• The world building was really week in the first book and now we get a glimpse of the truth. And I sure hope it is not what I'm thinking of. 

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário