domingo, 22 de dezembro de 2013

Book Review: Witch and Wizard by James Patterson and Gabrielle Charbonnet



I really hate to give books a one star rating, but sometimes I really can't help it. I simply couldn't get into this book and I couldn't care much about the characters and the story.
What I liked:
- The overall story. It is a nice idea and a different take on the whole dystopian thing, seeing we have witches and wizards and we get to see the beginnings of this dystopic world. Now, the execution was terrible.
What I didn't like:
Probably most of the book, but I'll highlight some points:
- I really, really hate the whole 'you are special, my child, but I'm not telling you anything until you get in danger' plot. We have this two kids who are special, their parents tell them they are special, but they don't know they are special until the moment they are thrown into a living nightmare. I hate this kind of thing, especially when it is badly done. As it is the case with this book.
- The two main characters are called smart but they are the biggest pair of idiots I had the misfortune to read about. They don't believe they are witch and wizard, yet they keep using their magical powers. They couldn't guess what their drumstick really was and they only understood in the end of the book. C'mon! Drumstick, wand. Simple as that. It shouldn't take much brainpower to guess that. And they are completely alienated. They had heard nothing about the New Order. How come? There is this Big Brother-like political party trying to take over the world and brainwashing people and you have heard nothing about it? Whit's -the wizard - girlfriend had disappear and he did not go looking for her or for answers? Hard to believe that, especially when he claims to love her so much. 
- They are also really, really egotistical. They can save lots of children who are going through the same horrors they had to endure, but they wouldn't help because they had to look for their parents! Yes, parents are important, but seeing that you thankful someone helped you, the least you can do is to help other people who are suffering too. No to mention that you have the power to do so!
- Byron. No, just no. Toooooo fast. 
- The One Who Is The One, The One Who Judges, etc. What kind of names are those? It is ridiculous! No to mention the fact that we are supposed to believe the One Who Is The One is the bad guy when he speaks like an idiot and do stupid party tricks, like disappearing in a tunnel of wind, or whatever. Yes, and he is against magic. Haha. No. 
- The whole plot. Nothing really happens and nothing is really explained. Everyone is like 'you'll find out about this later' but the characters never find this out. Which means we don't either. If this was done to make me buy the other book, I'm sorry to inform you, Mr. Patterson and Ms. Charbonnet, but I'm not wasting my money on the other book. 
- The structure of the book. Horrendous. One of the main reasons why I couldn't get into the book is the fact that the chapters are really small! Two/three pages long. And it served no purpose whatsoever. I believe EVERYTHING inside a book has to serve a purpose. An author has to plan things really carefully. If you have a short chapter structure, it has to mean something. But it doesn't because, apparently, Patterson loves doing that. 
I simply disliked this book. I disliked the constant sarcasm and stupid jokes, I disliked the mood of the book (one moment sarcastic and light, and in the other kids are being tortured and people being attacked by dogs). I cannot believe only a bunch of kids are against this new regimen. I simply cannot accept that. No one sees what they are doing to the world is completely crazy? Where are the people against it that are over 20? Sorry, I really do not recommend this book. 

Rating: 1/5


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário