sexta-feira, 13 de dezembro de 2013

Book Review: The Reptile Room by Lemony Snicket


These books are such fun reads! I'm having a great time re-reading them all. It is great to be able to go back to them after so many years, and to notice things I didn't when I was reading them for the first time. Besides, I never got to finish the series. So, this will be a good opportunity to revisit the books I have already read and read the ones I haven't.
I didn't notice, during my first reading of this book, how incredibly smart and terribly disturbing it is. And how it goes from one terribly disturbing moment, such as Count Olaf rubbing a bade 'gently against Violet's knee', to a funny moment, like the Baudelairs using the famous 'If only he knew we knew that he knows' sentence.  
Now, on to the next book!
Some of my favorite quotes:
"There is a pair of snakes who have learn to drive a car so recklessly that they would run you over in the street and never stop to apologize."
"This feeling is not unlike the sinking in one's stomach when one is in an elevator that suddenly goes down, or when you are snugly in bed and your closet door suddenly creaks open to reveal the person who has been hiding there."
'"Ackroid!" Sunny said, which probably meant something like 'Roger!'"

"If, however, you were looking for anything in a haystack, that wouldn't be difficult at all, because once you started sifting through the haystack you would most certainly find something: hay, of course, but also dirt, bugs, a few farming tools, and maybe a man who had escaped from prison and has been hiding there".

Rating: 4/5



Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário