sábado, 5 de setembro de 2015

Book review: Ripper by Stefan Petrucha



Ripper 
Stefan Petrucha
3 stars

What can I say about this book? Actually not much. It was a nice, fast paced read, but it was so predictable that most of the times I just wanted to roll my eyes or slap the characters with the book. Or both. 
Ripper tells the story of Carver Young and orphan who suddenly discovers that he has to be adopted or he will have to live on the streets because he is too old to continue at the orphanage. At the same time, he also finds a letter from his father. Obsessed with being a detective (just like Sherlock Holmes) and to find his father, Carver is thrilled when he is adopted by a former private investigator, Hawking. 
However, not everything is well, Jack, the Ripper is attacking wealthy women in New York and leaving behind only chaos and fear. Carver is caught between his search for his father and the search for Ripper, and helping New Pinkerton –the agency Hawking kind of works for – not to be found by the police.
I loved the premise of the book. Jack, the Ripper is fascinating and having him change his patterns and attack in New York is a very nice concept, one that definitely calls my attention. However, I’m not certain having a 14-year-old as a protagonist seems wise. Much more could have been done with an older, wiser protagonist. Things sometimes sounded too silly to be true (I know, I know, suspension of disbelief and all that, but even so…) and too naïve. I really don’t believe things would have ended the way they did and even in the book, for me, the ending and some situations were a little forced. 
And everything was too predictable. I figured out the ending in the first pages and that was because I was trying not to jump to conclusions. You can guess the ending without even reading the book, actually. It is always the same thing. 
However, some things were nice. I really liked the detective agency and all things they used there. The characters were somewhat nice as well and some of them presented some pretty interesting character development.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário