sábado, 5 de setembro de 2015

Book review: The Martian by Andy Weir

Isn't this cover great?

Goodreads

The Martian
Andy Weir
5 stars


The Martian was most definitely a very exciting and funny read. Even though I had my issues with it, I thoroughly enjoyed the reading experience and the narrative.
Mark Watney was part of the Ares 3 mission to Mars. Everything was fine until the sixth day of the mission. A violent sand storm forced the mission to be cancelled. Unfortunately, as the astronauts were leaving the planet, Mark Watney died. Or so everybody thought. Watney was still alive and with no means to reach his peers or NASA. He was stranded in Mars, all alone, with no communication. His only hope was to wait for the Ares 4 mission. The problem: Ares 4 was 4 years away. Now, he must survive alone on a planet that wants to kill him and figure out a way to grow enough food to last 4 years.
I admit that what really made me read the book was the upcoming movie (and because Sebastian Stan is in it). I know, I know: bad bookworm behavior. But I’m really glad I did. It was awesome! I love books about space, space exploration, astronauts and the like. The Martian combined the science and the fiction aspects of sci-fi wonderfully. I have no idea if the science was correct or any inclination to check, but it definitely sounded good in the book and I guess that is all that matters. 
Our main character is creative, very intelligent, and possesses a never-ending supply of sass. It was nice to see how his personality influenced his decisions and his acts, and how it helped him to remain alive. 
Sometimes the book got a little repetitive but it was still interesting to see how Mark would react to a new situation and how he would get out of it. 
We have access to different perspectives throughout the book, which was nice. Mark tells what is going on with him through mission logs and we get to know what is happening at NASA and their attempts to rescue Watney. We also have access to the rest of the astronauts from Ares 3 and how they deal with the fact that Mark is still alive and alone in Mars. 
I have several things that annoyed me a little during the book, the main aspect was the amount of jokes like “I screamed like a girl” or the likes. His commander is a woman, we have several women in the mission, but “screaming like a girl” was still a cause to be embarrassed. I still cannot understand this. 
Over all, a nice read and I would definitely recommend it to people who like science fiction, space books, or sassy characters. 


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário