sábado, 5 de setembro de 2015

Book review: Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth



Allegiant
Veronica Roth 
2 stars

What can I say about Allegiant? It was a disappointment. I was not expecting to love the book based on all the things I’d heard about it, but I was also not expecting to really dislike it. But I did. Not in the ‘I’m going throw this book in the fire’ dislike, but the ‘what the hell just happened?’ one. 
Allegiant is the last book in the Divergent trilogy and picks up the story some time after the events of Insurgent. Differently from the other ones, this book is told both by Tris and Four, with alternating chapters. 
Let me start with the things I liked: it was a fast paced book with lots of new information. We had an explanation about the world the characters lived in and the function of Chicago in it. We finally understood what Divergents are and their purpose and generally got to know what was wrong and what wasn’t. I liked that. I felt Divergent and Insurgent lacked world-building and while we have more tell than show in this one, at least we got answers.
That said, I did not like said explanation. It didn’t make much sense. And the beliefs that started it all were ridiculous and would be very easily proved wrong of people really wanted to do so. But maybe that was the point and I missed it? Anyway, I was expecting something much more elaborate and plausible. I didn’t feel like it fit the world we had gotten to know in the previous stories and it made the characters action in the two other books seem laughable because they were actually not that significant. 
I also did not like the way they decided to ‘solve’ things. And everything was too happily resolved in the end. It made no sense and I am sure things would not have ended the way they did. But maybe, again, that was the whole point and I missed it. 
I didn’t like the alternating chapters simply because I saw no difference between their voices. Tris and Four sounded exactly the same. Sometimes I had to get back to the beginning of the chapter to see who was narrating because I surely couldn’t tell them apart. 
And then “the thing” happened and I was done. Not because of “the thing” itself but because it made no sense. It could have easily been done some other way. Did it fit the character? Most definitely. Could it be avoided? It most certainly could have. It just made me angry and not sad like it was supposed to. 
Over all, not a nice read for me. And, again, this is all my opinion. I could not enjoy it.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário